Open Access at Bielefeld University
"... Open access aims to facilitate access to scientific and scholarly knowledge and enhance the visibility of research results. Scientific information generated within the framework of publicly funded
research should be accessible via the internet to, and re-usable by, any user without financial, technical, or legal barriers. Open access is not only about access to quality-assured text publications
but also to other digital objects such as research data, for example." (German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (our translation), Open Access:
Das Urheberrecht muss der Wissenschaft dienen [Open Access: Copyright Must Serve Science; available in German only]).
When it comes to providing open access to their work, Bielefeld's scholars and scientists can avail of a wide range of comprehensive services to ensure that their research results
are disseminated worldwide and are freely available to the public online:
- As one of the first universities in Germany to do so, Bielefeld University supports open access self-archiving and publishing.
- Under certain conditions, the university's Publication Fund pays the publication fees charged by open access journals.
- Bielefeld University Library operates an institutional repository, PUB - The Publication Server at Bielefeld University.
PUB acts as a central reference system for Bielefeld's scientific and scholarly publications (primary and secondary publication) and enables documents to be self-archived. The publications indexed in PUB
are publicly displayed in personal and/or departmental publication lists. In this way, PUB promotes the visibility and reusability of scientific and scholarly knowledge.
- The Coordination Centre for Research Data offers advice, infrastructure, and services for the publication and long-term preservation of research data.
- There is also a platform - PUB Theses - for the publication of theses and dissertations. This mode of publication is free of charge
and it ensures that the publications in question are quickly and freely accessible online.
- The open source journal management and publishing software OJS (Open Journal System) is made available for the establishment of new OA journals or
the conversion of existing electronic journals to OA.
- We assist the university's academic departments with publishing new or existing working paper series.
- The platform open-access.net is a central and extensive source of background information on open access and information on OA-related issues.
Bielefeld University participates in the continuous updating and expansion of the platform.
Other general information: